6 October 2012

Dreaming of Africa.

I made a deal with God. I told him my summer was His, and all He had to do was show me. That being said, I think I'm going to Africa! Tanzania, to be exact.

There was a "Go Abroad" Fair at the U of A the other day, and I had a few hours to kill before classes. I went and took a look around, but nothing really caught my eye so I turned around. As I had my hand on the door handle to head out, God told me to turn around. I was confused, because I thought I had seen everything to see. I was wrong! I ended up turning down a hallway and talking to the people at the Student's International Health Organization (SIHA) table for a good half and hour, asking questions about the Tanzania trip. The day after, I had an informal get together with the leader of the trip to ask more questions and get more information. Today, I printed out the official application and am just about done it.

So if it pans out, if God wants me in Tanzania, I'll be going May 1 - July 12, to make it back just in time for one of my dearest friend's wedding! The focus of the trip is public health. The way it got explained to me was this: "So basically you get dropped off in the middle of f--king nowhere, assess the greatest health need in each village, and you fill it. No structure at all" Sweet.

One of the girls in my seminar/lab groups in nursing is super interested in coming as well! We've gotten  to be good friends, and spending a summer with her would be SUCH A BLAST! If this trip pans out, it will look so very different from any other trip I have been on. All my traveling has been with a group of Christians. This one will not be so. Group dynamics will be so different. No times of worship with my team. No corporate prayer. But, as I was reflecting on this earlier, I got to thinking that much of life is that way. I was so blessed by my YWAM family, especially my outreach family. However, in life you don't always have that YWAM family at your disposal. There will not always be people willing to pray with you on a rough day. This may be the greatest 10 week challenge of my faith I'll ever see.

Prayers for God's guidance, and clarity on whether to do this trip or not appreciated :)
Also, HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

No comments:

Post a Comment