9 January 2012

The first week of 2012.

Hey all!


I know this is a little late in coming, but HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! I hope and pray your holiday season has been filled with renewal, joy and peace. Now as things get back into full swing at school or work, I pray you feel ready to face 2012!

So, I am now working on two blogs, this one and another one outlining the journeys of my outreach team. Please take a look at http://ensenadaoutreach.weebly.com/ to check out what my team is doing!!

In case you don't feel like reading two blogs of mine... here's the recap.

New years was very different for me, but we spent New years eve celebrating with the Denver outreach team that was here and the staff. We rang in the new year praying for what is to come. New Years day we had a day off and most of us spent time on the beach - even though it rained.

January 2 Ensenada outreach left for Santo Domingo to spend a week with Pastora Veronica. What a fiery, compassionate woman of the Lord. She runs a church for kids and also a feeding program. The area we were in was mostly Haitians, the conditions were very poor. We spent the week sleeping on mattresses on the floor and having very cold showers. The schedule was much more relaxed than in San Pedro. On Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays we helped serve food to the kids.

One thing I found very shocking was just how rough the culture there is. Kids engage in sexual acts at very young ages. Many of the boys have toy guns. Women there are treated like objects. It was not the most comfortable week for most of us - being faced with these things daily. We did a lot of programs, many of them for kids. We also did street evangelism and did programs in a park. We did one service in a brothel, while men came and went. That was very challenging. The whole time we were in Bienvenidos, many of us had heavy spirits. It was not the easiest week. It was however a week of firsts for me....
  • first time seeing a kid point a toy gun at me with genuine anger in his eyes
  • first time speaking in a brothel
  • first time nearly blowing up a building lighting a gas stove (Mom sorry if you're reading this...)
  • first time I've experienced an earthquake.

Being in such poor environment really made me think how much I take for granted in life. For example, internet. Hot water. Safety. Security. Being able to sleep at night with no noise. Seeing the environment these kids are growing up in makes me sad. They have to be tough, or else they'll get walked all over. To be honest, I felt relieved when we returned to the San Pedro base. I finally felt I could breathe again. God definitely stretched us this week, and I was blessed by so many kids. Now I'm excited to sleep... So that I can wake up tomorrow morning and say, "What's next God?"

If you could pray for energy and endurance for my team that would be much appreciated :) God bless you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment